Friday, May 7, 2010

The Power of a Positive Mom: Introduction

I have mentioned before I love to learn! Yes, I was probably the annoying nerdie kid in school! I recently learned how much I loved learning God's Word, how to apply it to my life and fellowship with other ladies through bible studies at our church.

I also realized that it can be difficult for some to be able to take part in a group study like that due to their schedules. Since I always have a book I am reading/learning from and get so excited about the concepts I thought why not share them on my blog? It will be a virtual book club!

The book "The Power of a Positive Mom" by Karol Ladd has really been a handbook of encouragement to me over the years...what a good place to start!

Think about one of your greatest joys in motherhood and one of your biggest challenges.

The Introduction in the book can be summed up in four words "You Can Do It!"

Karol shares how every child needs a positive push in life, and as a mom it is our very important job to make a positive difference. "As moms, we have the opportunity every day to boost our children onward and upward. Ours is a very influential job. Through our affirmative support and loving care, we are in a unique position to help our children reach for their dreams and God-given potential."

Let's face it, it is pretty challenging to always stick to our good intentions! Do you feel like you spend your day putting out fires, tantrums, correcting, cleaning, doing laundry, running errands, cooking, need I go on?

Karol reminds us how we felt the day our little ones were born and first put in our arms...so precious! Then life begins, chaos ensues and we learn that being a positive mom is more challenging than we thought it would be!

The good news is that her book is written with great gems that really work when applied, to help you be a more positive mom!

"Yes, you can do it! With God's help and his Holy Spirit living inside you, you can be, as the writer of Proverbs said, "the wise woman (who) builds her house" (Proverbs 14:1). The seven principles I offer in this book are meant to help you recognize the amazing power that God has put in the hands of positive mothers-and to inspire you to become the positive mom you want and need to be."

I will be sharing the Power Points that are at the end of each chapter that include a suggestion for a bible verse reading, a model prayer, a positive choice, and an activity to reinforce the learned point from the chapter. "After all, God's power is not in the reading; it's in the doing!"

Discussion Questions

1. What is one thing you said "I will never do that" as a mom but now you have done.

2. Who has been the greatest influence in your life in helping you to be a better mom?

3. If you were going to choose one time of the day that you most enjoy or cherish as a mom, when would it be?

4. What is your most dreaded time of day?

I know we can't answer all of them...pick what jumps out at you! I will go first...

The one thing I said I would never do is put my child on a leash! Then I had her, at Disney, and panicked I would not be able to find this running, crazy girl! It wasn't exactly a leash, they make cute puppy and monkey backpack harness looking things now! I got her to learn that if she didn't want to wear the puppy then she had to agree to stay by mommy and daddy...it worked...eventually!

I look forward to reading your comments!

I pray that from these postings you will have something new to take away and apply in your life as a positive mom! We are not perfect, but through Him we strive to be a little more of a positive light!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails