Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Try And Tell Tuesday: Spelling F-U-N

March 9, 2010

I have always loved spelling and math so it "figures" that these would be two areas I love teaching my girlie about! We spell a bunch...stuff we see at the store, around the house, on TV, street signs, you name it! She asks me how to spell words that she hears that are new to her too! We count a bunch...how many forks we need, how many barbie shoes she has, how many pieces of a game there are so we make sure they all go back in, how many letter A's or another letter she can count in a sign while we are waiting in a line...you get the idea!

The other day during bath time we were having a "spelling bee" and I decided to try something new. Some words that have a combined sound like "sh" in "she" gets her stumped. So I combined counting with spelling and showed her how many letters are in words as we spelled them by holding up one finger for each letter. She got the hang of it pretty quickly! I asked her to spell "so" and she looked at me. Then I said spell "so" and held up two fingers. She got excited and said "s-o"! It clicked for her that "so" is a two letter word!

I am not sure yet what learning style she is...auditory, visual, kinesthetic...but I thought it was pretty cool to see the combination of saying the word and using our fingers to count the letters click for her!

This post is linked up with Kim at Mom Tried It for Try And Tell Tuesday. Check out the other neat stuff that mom's have tried with their kiddos!

2 comments:

  1. What a great way to expand on both spelling and math! I love it!
    Thank you for linking up with Try and Tell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always eager to learn these beginner tips for reading/spelling/math - Thank you for sharing!

    (Stopping by from Try and Tell Tues)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails